//--> //-->

Most Normal Girl


Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom


My mom has always been good at making me cry. No, no, not the kind of cry because I was in trouble and deserved to have that spanking, leave the table with no dinner, and be banished to my room for six months. No, no. The kind of cry that only a mom can do when she looks at you with all the love in the world and you know that she would lay down her life for yours in a heartbeat.

I'm crying already.

My mom is one of "those" moms. She was always good at embarrassing me and my brother in those MOST inappropriate of moments - but always tried to be cool in front of our friends. She could always be relied on for packing extra bottles of water or bringing snacks to the movies. She laughs at my dad - which isn't hard to do - and then looks over at you and rolls her eyes (I love that). She dances silly but has the grace of an angel. She can work her way around the stock market better than anyone else in our family. She used to write notes on the napkins of packed lunches. Her hugs make the day a little brighter. She makes everything feel better just by the magic of her touch. She has watched me grow and mature from the time I was in her tummy (when I turned to say "HI" on the ultrasound screen) to the woman I've become today (with bumps and bruises along the way, but no less of the perfect daughter I always was). In my mom's eyes, I can see the woman I am - where I came from and where I am going.

I texted her a phone message this morning to wish her a Happy Birthday (you're nuts if you think I dare unleash the wrath of mom by saying HOW OLD she is today) and she promptly wrote back that she is happy to be here to enjoy it. Yeah, me too. I'm sooo glad you haven't died yet, mom, because there are plenty of more years that my brother and I would like to drive you crazy with. Sorry if that sounds insensitive. I hope you read the meaning behind it - I'm glad you're here, too. And if I don't say it enough, THANK YOU for being all that you are.

I love you, mom.
Posted by Jessie_b :: 8:39 AM ::
---------------oOo---------------