//--> //-->

Most Normal Girl


Sunday, March 13, 2005

Chivalry Is DEAD

(Originally written Wednesday, October 27, 2004 at 8:25p.m. - but it's still true)

Chivalry is dead; or maybe it never existed in the first place. As many of you know, I have the opportunity to travel quite extensively for my job. In each of my travels, I am reminded of how the women's liberation movement really killed some of the nice things that gentlemen used to do for us, as ladies. I mean, come on, give up a seat or help a woman with her bags, will ya? How hard is that? I am constantly reminded of what a buffoon I must look like as I try to haul my luggage up onto a shuttle bus in some unknown city; tripping, falling, sweating, and grunting all the way. Sexy, huh? The only men who I know anymore that are true gentlemen are my dad and my brother (and believe me, HE had to come a long way)! Let's examine that for a moment, shall we?

My brother, the stinky punk little kid who recently grew bigger than his big sister, just a few months ago had pinned me down and threatened to spit on my face. Twelve weeks into Marine Corps Boot Camp and now he's a perfect gentleman - I can't even take his arm on the wrong side (he always has to be on the right). How does that happen? Are men not born with that innate "gentleman" sense that we, as women, all thought they did? Does it have to be taught by other buffoons who didn't know any better once upon a time, too? Or is it that over the years the female species has all but wiped away that part of the male brain in trying to assert our own female power? I don't know what the answer is, or why this is becoming a more commonplace genetic disorder - but I don't like what I'm seeing.

Don't get me wrong, every now and then a guy will surprise me. They're rare gems who are no doubt idiots in some other region of their brain. But, in that one moment when they offer their seat or help me haul up that bag (that I've over-packed with shoes, I'm sure), they are the most glorious of men to walk the Earth. God love 'em.
Posted by Jessie_b :: 7:11 AM ::
---------------oOo---------------