//--> //-->

Most Normal Girl


Friday, October 21, 2005

Who Cries Over Groceries?





















I DO.

After talking with my parents last weekend, my mom told me that she was sending a care package. I truly had no idea what to expect. A failed attempt earlier in the week led to a knock on my door just before 8am today.

A tall guy greeted me with a bouquet of flowers. He was standing next to three green bins which had their lids on them. He opened the lids and started bringing grocery bag after grocery bag into my kitchen. I stood there, in my towel (I was getting out of the shower when the knock came), STUNNED.

After he left, I stood in my kitchen looking at all the food that had been placed on my countertops. Then I started crying. I cried and laughed the entire time I was putting the items away: hummus, green olives, bacon, orange juice, crackers, salad, vegetables, cheese, tea, vitamins, pasta, paper towels, chapstick, deli meat, butter, waffles, AND MORE... I cried and cried - just feeling overwhelmed.

Being a college student is tough - you barely have time to eat right. My mom used to take me grocery shopping when I would come home from school; probably just to ensure that I ate decent food every now and then. On those off times when we wouldn't go shopping, she would load up saved grocery bags of food from the fridge and send me on my way.

I forgot about the little tid-bit of poor eating when I came back to school. Cheap soup is now a staple of my diet. On top of that, I don't have transportation to a grocery store. The 1.5 mile walk to the closest store isn't that tough - but the walk home with bags of food is. So, my parents brought the groceries to me. And I was truly overwhelmed. My tummy and my heart are full already.

Thank you, so much, mom and dad. This was better than I could have asked for. I love you both so much and continue to be surrounded by your love. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Posted by Jessie_b :: 5:27 AM ::
---------------oOo---------------