//--> //-->

Most Normal Girl


Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Forecast This

I don't know what it is about New England weather forecasters. They're a stark contrast from our forecasters back home.

Anyone who lives in LA (or any part of the Southern California region, for that matter) knows how the newscasters dramatically highlight "storms" that roll into town. If there is a 30% chance of rain that MIGHT strike any part of the Golden State, you can bet that the weather dopplers and the "Storm Trackers" will be on it. Oh, and don't forget the TEAM of reporters who will be on every corner block to monitor the horrific weather. If it actually does rain, it dominates the headline news. You would think that it was the worst tragedy to have hit LA - RAIN, GOD NOOOO!!!

Boston, however, is quite different. While weather may be an issue for other parts of the country, it's not a big deal here. In fact, it's soooo not a big deal, the newscasters just assume that you'll be prepared. For example, television viewers have been told that we should expect rain on Wednesday - with a side note that there may be a spit or two of rain in various areas over the next couple of days. To me, this means that I need to bring an umbrella and a rain coat with me when I go outside on Wednesday, but I will probably not see much rain until then. Logical thinking, right? Well, much to my surprise, it rained as I was walking home last night. I hadn't brought my umbrella and I was wearing a wool coat. So, I got wet. Not that I'm afraid of melting or anything, but come on - I would have liked to have known.

I guess you could say I was a little pissed. Why wasn't I warned? In LA, that would have never happened - if anything, I would have been covered in rain gear and then NOT have seen any rain.

I don't get it. Why can't weather forecasters actually forecast weather? They know it's coming (or not) so why not relay the message? Is it a secret? Are they just not sure about their predictions? Are they not on the same page with their forecasts? Why do I have to get wet before I find out that it might rain? Who's with me?
Posted by Jessie_b :: 6:33 AM ::
---------------oOo---------------